Find a Church
 
Filter by Worship Service Times (23,109 so far)
Extras
Search for worship/sermon times using our advanced search.
Shortcuts:

Holy Trinity Church

 
About the turn of the century, immigrants from the Austro- Hungary and Russian Empires settled in and about Elmira, NY. Having very little command of English at first, they had considerable difficulty in securing employment. Jobs were available to them mostly at the foundries, the iron works, and at the US Steel Bridge works. The women worked in the textile mills. Everyone worked hard and made about 10 cents an hour, usually about $6 a week. At first, the Slavic speaking people in the area attended the Ukrainian Church on 14th St. The little congregation was served by priests coming by train from Binghamton. It was decided in 1907 or 1908 to move the church building to a newly purchased lot on Horseheads Blvd. Unfortunately, there were two sets of railroad tracks between the two sites. When the church building reached the Erie RR tracks, it was discovered that the electric company would have to be paid for cutting the electric lines and letting them pass. Since there was no money for this, temporary steps were erected up into the building where it stood and services were held in the building as usual. When they managed to pay the electric company and pass the Erie RR tracks, they found that they had to do the same at the D.L. & W. RR line. Again, the temporary steps went up until they could raise the money to pass the electric lines that blocked them at the crossing. About 1916, there was a rift between the Ukrainian and Russian groups in the parish, and a few people met and founded Holy Trinity Parish. Archbishop Evdokim sent Fr Borisoff to help the twenty-five families organize the new parish. When he told them a few weeks later that Fr Timothy Berky was being assigned to them and would arrive in the next few months, there was a bit of a panic. They had no housing for the new priest and his family. Kozma Mowchan opened his home to the priest and his family and also for divine services until other arrangements could be made. In a very short time, thanks to the great sacrifice of the parishioners, a church building was completed and housing arranged for the pastor. From this humble beginning, Holy Trinity Church has grown and developed from being a Slavonic parish of new Americans" into an American Orthodox Parish. This development parallels the development of the Russian Mision to the new world into the Orthodox Church in America. In the mid 1980's, it became more and more apparent that the old church building was beyond repair. A number of parishioners supplied much of the labor and erected the present church building, which was completed and blessed on February 22, 1987. Some of the Icons in the church have been completed and others are being planned. Today, Holy Trinity Church stands as a real Orthodox parish celebrating the services in English, ready to reach out to all who will come to embrace the Orthodox Faith. This is correct, since Orthodoxy is the Christian Church for all people."
 

Contact Information

http://www.HolyTrinityOrthodoxChurch.org
 

Location

140 Horseheads Blvd
Elmira Heights, NY 14903
 

Service Schedule

For a list of schedules, events, and parish info please click on the
following link: http://www.HolyTrinityOrthodoxChurch.org
 

Small Groups

  No small groups for Holy Trinity Church have been posted. Be the first to add a group.

Holy Trinity Church Reviews

No reviews have been posted for the Holy Trinity church. Be the first to review!






Get Involved with the Holy Trinity church

The Holy Trinity church is located in Elmira Heights, NY and is part of the Orthodox Church in America denomination of churches. If you are a member of the Holy Trinity church we encourage you to write a review and post upcoming church events.

Energize your church with a prayer website